Hello, hello! Thanks for joining me for this episode of DIY MFA Radio. Before we dive into this episode, just one quick note. If you’re enjoying this show, please hop on over to iTunes and subscribe. We’ve some really exciting ones coming up that you really won’t want to miss! Also, please share the love by telling your friends.
OK, now back to the show.
Today we’re talking with Jeff Goins about finding your purpose and building your tribe. Jeff is a full-time blogger, speaker and author. He frequently speaks and writes about how to make a difference in the world through our words and actions. His blog, GoinsWriter.com, is one of the fastest-growing blogs on the web and a well-respected resource for writers, artists, and entrepreneurs. In 2011 and 2012, it won the Top 10 Blogs for Writers award on WritetoDone.com. Each month, he receives over 100,000 visitors to his website.
Jeff’s work has been published online and offline in a variety of publications, including RELEVANT Magazine, Copyblogger.com, and ZenHabits.net (voted one of Time Magazine’s Top 50 Websites). His most recent book, The In-Between, is a memoir about the lessons we learn while waiting, and his new book The Art of Work is due out March 24, 2015.
In this interview Jeff and I discuss:
- His journey as a writer and how he got to where he is now.
- His purpose and the motivation behind his writing.
- How and why to build an on-line platform, or tribe, before you try to publish.
- Why you have to find the sweet spot of competency, passion, and demand in order to find your calling.
- Pivoting, and using iteration to find your way to connection between you and your readers.
Jeff shares his #1 tip for writers!
“Giving is the best way to get. If you want to build influence you need to share and be generous.” –Jeff Goins
(Right-click to download.)
If you want to connect with Jeff online, you can do so at Google+ and Facebook, or follow him on Twitter, @JeffGoins. For deep and practical advice on writing, building your tribe, and finding your purpose, check out his blog! Interested in reading more by Jeff? Check out his books!
- You Are a Writer (So Start Acting Like One)
- Wrecked: When a Broken World Slams into your Comfortable Life
- The In-Between: Embracing the Tension Between Now and the Next Big Thing
- The Art of Work: A Proven Path to Discovering What You Were Meant to Do (Coming March 24, 2015)
If you liked this episode…
Head over to iTunes, leave a review, and subscribe so you’ll be first to know when new episodes are available. Also, if you know anyone who might enjoy this podcast, please share!
Until next week, keep writing and keep being awesome.