Hello and welcome to another exciting episode of DIY MFA Radio! Today I’m so excited to be interviewing Beatriz Williams. She is the author of the international bestsellers Overseas, A Hundred Summers, and The Secret Life of Violet Grant.
Her new book, Tiny Little Thing, hit bookstores on June 23 and is out now. I’m reading it right now and let me just say, it’s incredible! In this episode, Beatriz and I talk about her creative decisions as she crafted this fascinating book.
In this episode, Beatriz and I talk about:
- The inspiration for Tiny Little Thing.
- Point of view and how it helps the reader know the character or keep a character obscure.
- Using the dual narrative to create a seamless structure for your story.
- Weaving in symbolism to support the theme.
- World building and picking a telling detail to capture the essence of the moment.
- Engaging your reader and trusting them to fill in the blank spaces.
Plus: Beatriz shares her #1 tip for writers.
Beatriz Williams’s Books
(Right-click to download.)
If you liked this episode…
Head over to iTunes, leave a review, and subscribe so you’ll be first to know when new episodes are available. Also, if you know anyone who might enjoy this podcast, please share!
Until next week, keep writing and keep being awesome.