Leisure Learning: January 2023

Leisure Learning: January 2023

Happy New Year, dearest word nerds! Now that we are heading into the second month of 2023, I hope you have found a footing in projects spun from your wildest dreams. For some of us here, I know that means starting to write a romance novel or even a series (aka that thing everyone else… Read more »

#5onFri: 5 Tips on Running Your Own Book PR & Marketing

#5onFri: 5 Tips on Running Your Own Book PR & Marketing

When you type the iconic words The End in your manuscript, what feelings do they evoke in you? Joy or fulfillment? Or possibly even dread or a sense of emptiness? To me, the moment was priceless.  I felt elated, relieved, and filled with enthusiasm. As a first-time author, however, I had no inkling of the… Read more »

Flash Fiction - No Flash in the Pan

Flash Fiction: No Flash in the Pan

I am flash fiction curious. Both because it seems like a wonderful skill to develop and because I am looking to submit to literary magazines in the new year. Also, the challenge of exploring deep truths and connecting to my reader emotionally in just a few brief paragraphs sounds like a lot of fun. To… Read more »

Use Water’s Superpower of Creative Flow in Winter

Use Water’s Superpower of Creative Flow in Winter

I am always conflicted at the beginning of a new year. There is a frenetic energy to get moving on goals, set plans in motion, and return to work. This is invigorating for some people. But I want to retreat inward, listen quietly, go where my energy is leading me. At this time of year,… Read more »

How finding my tribe helped silence my self-doubt

How Finding My Tribe Helped Silence My Self-Doubt

Self-doubt. Psh. As a self-described Jane-of-all-trades, I can do a lot of things. Operate heavy machinery. Sew clothes and quilts. Name a home improvement project, and chances are I’ve got experience. You know, that whole Yankee ingenuity thing. If it needs to get done, I do it — admittedly with varying results. There’s been some… Read more »

Character Arcs and LARP

Character Arcs and LARPs

Hello word nerds! I want to thank you so much for reading my column this year. I have enjoyed writing for you all and I hope I have inspired some of you to try a game or two. This will be my final column for DIY MFA, thank you for reading, and I’m pulling for… Read more »

Book Cover Trends Heading into 2023

Book Cover Trends Heading into 2023

Have you noticed book covers stepping up their game? If so, you’re right! These trends make today’s annual book cover review extra exciting.  To provide some background, much of my professional life has been spent studying trends and foresight (I’ve also worked in marketing, strategy, competitive intelligence, digital, and more…stories for another time!) At its… Read more »

6 Self-Publishing Principles For A Fulfilling Authorial Career

6 Self-Publishing Principles For A Fulfilling Authorial Career

After nearly two years of being able to teach through these articles, my time with the DIY MFA family is ending. I’ve absolutely loved sharing my best strategies and recommendations for your authorial career, and this last article won’t be any different. While I could have left you with more to-do’s, I’ve opted for something… Read more »

4 Lessons Learned over a Decade of Author Platforming

4 Lessons Learned over a Decade of Author Platforming

Twitter, the linchpin of the publishing industry online, has felt like it may very well be crumbling under the new leadership of Elon Musk. With this, there’s been a lot of chatter in the publishing community about where we go from here. It’s up to you whether and when you choose to go down with… Read more »

10 Things I’ve Learned from Kid Lit Conferences

10 Things I’ve Learned from Kid Lit Conferences

Hello fellow kid lit writers! By the time you read this, I will be home from my latest writer’s conference! I’m a member of the Society of Children’s Book Writers and Illustrators (SCBWI), and my regional chapter had their annual conference recently. It was a blast! Not only did I get to attend some wonderful… Read more »