Hey there word nerds!
Today’s episode features one of my favorite authors OF ALL TIME: Austin Kleon. I interview authors all the time, but I’ll admit when I was recording this episode I had a bit of a fangirl moment and was even a little nervous at first. But the episode was a blast to record and I think you’ll enjoy it.
If you don’t already know who Austin Kleon is, let me fill you in. He is the New York Times bestselling author of three illustrated books: Steal Like an Artist, Newspaper Blackout, and Show Your Work!
His work has been translated into over twenty languages and featured on NPR’s Morning Edition, PBS Newshour, and in The New York Times and The Wall Street Journal. New York Magazine called his work “brilliant,” The Atlantic called him “positively one of the most interesting people on the Internet,” and The New Yorker said his poems “resurrect the newspaper when everybody else is declaring it dead.” He speaks about creativity in the digital age for organizations such as Pixar, Google, SXSW, TEDx, and The Economist. He grew up in the cornfields of Ohio, but now he lives in Austin, Texas, with his wife and sons.
Austin’s latest project —The Steal Like an Artist Journal–is in stores now, and it’s kind of perfect for pre-NaNoWriMo creativity boosts. The prompts are really quick and fun so you can even use it during NaNoWriMo as a writing break.
So, if you haven’t read Austin’s books yet, go to it! Seriously, these books will change the way you think about creativity, writing, and (most importantly) life. Now onto the episode.
In this episode Austin and I talk about:
- Honoring your reality, both the world around you and your personal reality.
- Learning from your mistakes instead of focusing on your failures.
- Practicing by copying other people’s work by hand.
- Different tools for different types of writing.
- How practicing “less is more” can help your craft.
Plus, Austin’s #1 tip for writers.
More Info and Resources:
- Steal Like an Artist: 10 Things Nobody Told You About Being Creative
- Newspaper Blackout
- Show Your Work!: 10 Ways to Share Your Creativity and Get Discovered
- The Steal Like an Artist Journal: A Notebook for Creative Kleptomaniacs
(Right-click to download.)
If you liked this episode…
Head over to iTunes, leave a review, and subscribe so you’ll be first to know when new episodes are available. Also, if you know anyone who might enjoy this podcast, please share!
Until next week, keep writing and keep being awesome.