To wrap up our week-long series about naming characters we’re going to play a game. In the picture below there are two lists of names. Select one name from each list (or even pick two names from the same list.) You can pick names that you think go well together, or if you’d rather leave it up to chance, let the roll of a die determine which names you choose.
Prompt: Take out a blank piece of paper and write the name you selected at the top. Without thinking too long, answer the following questions about your character. Don’t agonize about these questions, just write down the first answer that comes to mind.
- What is your character’s occupation?
- Where does your character call home?
- Who are the 2 or 3 most significant people in your character’s life?
- What is your character’s biggest secret?
- What does your character want most in the world?
Turn your paper over and use the following line of dialogue as a starting point for a scene with that character:
“You think you know what it’s like, but you don’t.”
Now write until you’ve at least filled that one page.