How to Blog: The Group Blog Edition

Often when writers seek ways to gain that extra edge in the market, they look to the Internet to reach out to their target audience.  One popular option is to create a blog.  ThinkingtoInking is the group blog that fellow writer/bloggers Lauren Monahan, Triona Murphy, Stacy Stokes and I created to share our journey and… Read more »

Writer’s Digest Conference East 2013

One week ago, I head the pleasure of attending the Writer’s Digest Conference East (WDCE) in NYC. This is one of my favorite writing conferences of the year and it’s a great event writers in all stages of their careers. Novice writers can enjoy the inspirational keynote speakers and great lectures on writing craft and… Read more »

How to Choose the Right Conference

One of my favorite things to do for DIY MFA is go to writing conferences. I love meeting other writers, connecting with industry professionals and learning new things about the business as well as the craft. These days, with so many writing conferences available, it can be tricky to figure out which ones you should… Read more »

Editor Q&A (Part 2) – The Author-Editor Relationship

On Tuesday, we hosted Random House Editor, Mark Tavani, who spoke about the acquisitions process and what editors look for in submissions. Today, we get Mark’s take on the author-editor relationship and what it’s like to work with an editor. Without further ado, here’s Part 2 of our Editor Q&A Series this week. Editors all… Read more »

Build Your Online Writing Community

The last two posts have covered building your writing community through in-person events or via classes and workshops. Today we’ll look at options for building your community online. The hardest part of writing an article about online writing communities is that there are so many of them it’s almost impossible to make sense of all… Read more »

Build Your Community (Part 2): Writing Classes and Workshops

In our last article, we talked about building your community through in-person events like conferences, author readings or other such gatherings. Today we’ll address the issue of using writing classes and workshops as a way to meet and connect with other writers. Wait, what? You read that right. I’m suggesting that one great way to… Read more »

Build Your Writing Community: In-Person Events

Writing can be lonely work. As writers we spend most of our time working alone so a community of like-minded creative people can bring a ray of social light to an otherwise solitary existence. But how do you go about finding that magical group of writers to call your own? How do you find a… Read more »

Write It! Wednesday #7: Help Us Make DIY MFA Awesome

For today’s Write It! Wednesday (on a Friday) I’m going to need your help. If you haven’t already, please fill out our 2013 DIY MFA Survey. It’s short and sweet and will help us make DIY MFA so much better! Whether you’ve just discovered DIY MFA or you’ve been following the program from the very… Read more »

Why Writers Should Write Guest Posts

Writing guest posts for blogs and websites can be a great way to build connections both with fellow writers or potential readers. Guest posts can help you get a “foot in the door” with members of your target audience who you wouldn’t normally reach through your own blog or social media channels. These posts and… Read more »